MONDAY, AUGUST 28, 2017
On August 25, 2017 the New York State Department of Taxation and Finance (DFS) released highly anticipated guidance regarding taxation of PFL benefits and premium in Notice N-17-12. Here are the key points:
- Benefits paid to employees will be taxable non-wage income that must be included in federal gross income
- Taxes will not automatically be withheld from benefits
- Employees can request voluntary tax withholding
- Benefits should be reported by the State Insurance Fund on Form 1099-G and by all other payers on Form 1099-MISC
- The premiums will be post-tax, i.e., deducted from an employee’s after-tax wages
- Employers should report employee contributions on Form W-2 (Box 14: State disability insurance taxes withheld)
NOTICE: This blog and website are made available by the publisher for educational and informational purposes only.
It is not be used as a substitute for competent insurance, legal, or tax advice from a licensed professional
in your state. By using this blog site you understand that there is no broker client relationship between
you and the blog and website publisher.